Time for Comps…Need Prayer!

Posted on Updated on

Well, the time has come! Tomorrow I am looking for lots of people willing to pray for me. After two and a half years of PhD course work, I take my written Comps from 9:00 – 4:00 tomorrow. Next Friday I sit for the oral defense portion. In weakness His power is made known…so I am really ready to see that! Been preparing and look forward to it, but I’m still nervous! So pray for recall, clarity of expression and peace as I answer two essay type questions, each taking three hours. SDG! Thanks to all who will pray! Very grateful!

8 thoughts on “Time for Comps…Need Prayer!

Patty Cheng said:
    May 22, 2017 at 5:53 am

Hi Pastor Horner, I recently learned SE Theological Seminary has a “PhD in Ministry”. I thought Pastors earned PhD’s in Theology or Divinity. This young Sr. Pastor http://goodhopechurch.org/about/our-staff was recently awarded a PhD in Ministry from SETS. I don’t expect you would need to be concerned. Praying for you regardless. Let your light shine among men. =)

davidhhorner responded:
      July 24, 2017 at 3:53 pm

Hi Patty,
      Thanks for the note! SEBTS offers PhDs in a wide variety of subjects…theology, biblical studies, philosophy of religion, Christian Leadership, church history, and many other topics. My particular area of study is Christian Leadership. There are also DMin degrees which are Doctor of Ministry degrees, aimed more at the practical side of pastoral ministry than to the academic side. A PhD and EdD are both terminal degrees while a DMin focuses more on the application side of ministry.

It is encouraging to see a growing range of study areas available for pastors and Christian leaders who desire to do what Paul told the Thessalonians, “excel still more” (1 Thes 4:1). Praise the Lord for the pastor you mentioned and others called to pursue advance training. But those who are not called to that level of educational training, are still among the best and brightest and strongest leaders simply because they also keep learning and growing in the Lord and in the skills needed to be the best servants of Christ they can be. Two of the best preachers I have ever heard did not even get a degree of any sort from a theological seminary but were avid students of the Word and gifted far beyond their peers with advanced degrees. So it is not so much the degrees one has as the devotion one has to glorify Christ in all things all the time.

Thanks for praying for me. God continues to teach me, in my official studies and in my daily walk with Him, so I am always in much need of faithful, praying people to lift me up to the Lord.

Brenda Young said:
    May 20, 2017 at 12:15 am

I will continue to pray for you!

dnew061562 said:
    May 18, 2017 at 12:26 pm

Will be praying!

Charlene Randall said:
    May 18, 2017 at 7:26 am

Praying for you….. πŸ™‚

*Charlene*

Charlene Randall Vice President, Strategic Accounts 919-256-9604 crandall@leresearch.com [image: http://www.leresearch.com] *L&E Research* Baltimore, MD | Charlotte, NC | Cincinnati, OH | Columbus, OH Minneapolis, MN | Raleigh, NC | St. Louis, MO | Tampa, FL | Nationwide http://www.leresearch.com

[image: linkedin.com/company/l&e-research] [image: twitter.com/LEresearch] [image: blog.leresearch.com]

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 11:37 PM, Equipped for Life: David Horner, Raleigh, NC wrote:

> davidhhorner posted: “Well, the time has come! Tomorrow I am looking for > lots of people willing to pray for me. After two and a half years of PhD > course work, I take my written Comps from 9:00 – 4:00 tomorrow. Next Friday > I sit for the oral defense portion. In weakness His pow” >

Robin Wood said:
    May 18, 2017 at 1:19 am

Will be lifting you up in prayer! πŸ™

Frank Perry said:
    May 18, 2017 at 12:52 am

David, It is my honor to pray for you dear brother.

On May 17, 2017 11:38 PM, “Equipped for Life: David Horner, Raleigh, NC” wrote:

rachelle pierre said:
    May 18, 2017 at 12:07 am

Dear Pastor Horner,

I will be praying for you. God will come through Big time