This has been a season of great encouragement as I have been meditating and reflecting and preaching on what it means to wait on the Lord. With two more messages in the “Waiting on the Lord” series of messages, there is so much more to explore! For now, perhaps you can find delight as I have in this short list of what the Bible says happens to and for those who wait.
1. Strength will rise and those who wait shall renew their strength — Isaiah 40:31
2. Patience matures and produces contentment
3. Delays encourage persistence in prayer as we wait
4. Waiting gives time for providential developments, essential to God’s design
5. Waiting excites anticipation when accompanied by faith
6. Waiting deepens godly character and healthy spiritual roots
7. Waiting enables us to be still so that we can listen — Numbers 9:8
8. Wait to receive and be clothed with power from on high — Acts 24:49; Acts 1:8
9. Wait for calmness and quietness of the soul before God — Psalm 131:2
10. Wait for God Himself — Psalm 130:5; Lamentations 3:25
Although the list extends much further than this, I found these ten truths to be greatly encouraging. Therefore, I will wait on the Lord with a joyful and thankful heart on this Thanksgiving Day.
“Behold, this is our God for whom we have waited that He might save us. This is the Lord for whom we have waited; let us rejoice and be glad in His salvation” (Isaiah 25:9).